Monday, September 12, 2011

Two Rednecks in Italy: Part 1

To tackle these travel recaps I have found myself uploading pictures before I decide what to talk about. After the long and arduous process of sifting through all the pictures to find  my favorites I realized that almost all of the pictures that I uploaded are of food or drinks. Weird.....

Now let's resume our Tour De Caldwell.  Next stop: Torino, Italy

Yes, all of our train trips required sustenance. We stopped at the grocery store in Lucurne before we headed to the train station and stocked up on German beer (duh), numerous types of Swiss cheese (double duh), meat, bread, mustard that comes in a toothpaste like tube, fruit and Swiss chocolate. Train travel is so much better than air travel!


 Our first gelato of the trip. Mine was dark chocolate and hazelnut, double scoop of course and Tyler had pistachios.

Trivia Time: Did you know that Tic Tacs originated in Turino along with solid chocolate, the "slow food movement," breadsticks and you guessed it, Vermouth.

 Another fun fact, Vermouth is made in both red and white varieties, just like wine. I had no idea!

 Dinner number 1: caprese salad with a softball sized serving of mozzarella.

 Calzone for me and roasted veggie pizza for Tyler.


 More free water for thirsty tourists.



 Tyler managed to take a picture of me staring at a map at just about every city we went to.

Italians apparently don't like to work between about 2:00 and 4:00 pm so finding a late lunch spot was impossible. We settled on a wine bar instead.



 Tagliatelle with pesto for the Mr. and agnolotti for me. Both are traditional dishes from the area.


Last but not least. Desert. We went with the cheese plate with homemade jams and honey.We loved how they reused the jars and wrote the dates on the tops.  We were able to con the chef into giving us the recipe for the onion jam. Alabama National Fair canning competition, here we come!

2 comments:

  1. Your food looks divine! What a perfect trip for you two foodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I hope you eat your weight in food sista!!

    ReplyDelete