Our idea of adventure is probably a little different than the rest of the world's. Case in point, the 2nd Annual Lee County Heritage Cake Contest. Yes, that is correct, Tyler and I both entered a cake! The recipe had to be either 100 years old or passed down through 3 generations. We both used our grandmother's recipes so we passed that test!
- Appearance: Cake should be presented in its historical context as it would have been 100 years ago.
- Authenticity: 100 years old. Follow recipe word for word. Recipe must show original measurements.
- Intent of original recipe
- No suggestion of sugar crystals
- Layer cake should be soft and golden brown in color. (I think this one is a bit odd!)
|I made my grandmother's spice cake with pecan cream cheese frosting.|
|Tyler made his grandmothers apple cake with a cinnamon crunch topping. YUM!|
|Announcing the winners.......first place went to a fruit cake (really!?), second with to a blackberry spice cake with burnt caramel frosting, and third place went to ME!|
Yep, that's right, Boyd and I got our picture in the Auburn/Opelika Newspaper! Our poor child is destined to be a ranging nerd but at least he will have stories to tell!